Friday, September 20, 2013

Bicycles, Old People and Rain

My German understanding has been increasing a lot. I now know a lot more about conjugations and more important words to use. 

I am not a huge fan of interviews. Never have liked them that much. As a person in my profession I should probably get used to them. This week I had the opportunity to take one step in being more comfortable with interviews. I had to interview someone in German. Granted these were all simple questions like "What is your name?" and "What are your hobbies? Where are you from…?" Etc. Needless to say I was reticent to be bounding out and asking someone I barely knew questions in a language that I am still not too confident in. But that is why I am here. To learn German. After the people I wanted to interview were not there I found some old people walking around and interviewed them. It turned out to mostly be them interviewing me and it was pretty fun. They were nice people and even though we had difficulties understanding each other some times, we had a good talk. It was the opening salvo to the incessant barrage of learning that I will have the privilege to experience.


Today I had a bit of a cultural experience. Me and several other friends traveled via bus and then train to Magdeburg to purchase my new ride, a older, refurbished tour bicycle that I bought for 80 Euro. On my trip I also realized how useless American money is in Europe… long story short (well not really a long story, but still, Reader's Digest version) it's pretty useless. After we bought our bikes, we boarded the train back to Burg where we disembarked to ride back to Friedensau; a 15km ride…in the rain. But I am adventurous and have an abundance of optimism and no amount of rain can dampen my spirits. Besides, its not like it was pouring. We rode back to school chatting most of the way. Europe is really good to cyclists. This weekend we have plans to go down to the Harz Mountains and go climbing. Hopefully the weather will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment